A Notice to Our Customers Who Shop at Target
As you may have seen on the news or read online, Target says data from approximately 40 million credit and debit card transactions may have been compromised. The breach occurred between November 27 and December 15, 2013 within U.S. stores. This does not include online purchases or stores outside of the U.S. This breach may impact Bank customers who used their Community Bank debit card or Target REDcard to complete a transaction within a Target store during that time. This also includes merchants such as Starbucks or Pizza Hut that may be located inside a Target. A letter from Target to their customers has been posted on their website, and we encourage you to read it if you would like to learn more.
If your card may have been comprised, you will be issued a new debit card as soon as possible. Because we do not wish to inconvenience you during the busy holiday season, we are asking you to contact us at either of our offices and ask to speak to a personal banker. We will need to know the following information: your name and whether you will pick up your new card at the Oak Park or River Forest office. Tell us if you are travelling and when you will return: we can use that information to put a message on your account so that you can continue to use your card in the meantime. The main number for the Oak Park office is 708.660.1000 and the River Forest office is 708.366.4700.
Please continue to review your account activity to assure that you do not see any unknown transactions. If you believe your Community Bank debit card or account was compromised, please call us immediately at 708.660.1000 or at 708.366.4700. We also ask you to give us a call if you have any questions or concerns about the security breach at Target, we would be happy to talk with you.
Please keep in mind that your financial security is a top priority Community Bank. Therefore, here are some things to keep in mind.
- Please notify Community Bank if you are traveling out of town and plan to use your debit card, especially during the holiday season. Call us at 708.660.1000 and ask to speak with a personal banker who can quickly take your information.
- Closely monitor your account transactions. Contact Community Bank immediately if you see any fraudulent activity. The activity is not confined to purchases at Target stores, but can include fraudulent purchases at any store.
- When in doubt as to the security of your transaction, please use alternative methods of payment such as a credit card, check, or cash.
- Avoid phishing scams. Phishing has emerged as one of the most potent forms of mass identity theft, and has proven to be a very effective way to trick sometimes millions of users at a time into revealing confidential information that can then be used to steal their identities. Please visit our website if you would like more information on phishing.
- When shopping during the holidays, remain vigilant and closely monitor your account activity. Visit our website for holiday shopping security tips.
Again, please contact us if you would like to learn more.